Author Topic: Ancient Long Games  (Read 6122 times)

John Henry

• Noob
Ancient Long Games
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
I want to play Dune (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/121/dune) or Merchant of Venus (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/230/merchant-of-venus). I have heard good things from Wise Beard Men about them.

Who's down?

Bunnie

• Unus Mundus
  • Veteran
Re: Ancient Long Games
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 02:08:46 pm »
I'd be interested in trying out Dune some time.

We also have a brand new copy of Battlestar Galactica and the two expansions that we should play some time...
The algorithms I am programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought.

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 07:13:56 pm »
Eww how dare you mention that mediocre game next to Dune.
Remember, the moon is watching.

lirich

• Wargamer
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:15:23 am »
It feels like our club's enthusiasm for BSG left along with Scott. Or at least, he was the only one that actually put effort into starting games.

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »
If you come out to Waterloo, I'll play BSG with you.

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:41 pm »
It feels like our club's enthusiasm for BSG left along with Scott. Or at least, he was the only one that actually put effort into starting games.

I feel that if you want to play a game, then you put the effort into starting the games.  How hard is it to go "lets play. <name> ."   Yes, I do give a lot of credit to Scott for taking the initiative.  I am disappointed in people for feeling the entitlement of "why should I start games, I just want to play"
Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*
    "I have defied gods and demons.
    I am your shield, I am your sword.
    I know you; your past, your future.
    This is the way the world ends."

lirich

• Wargamer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 09:19:13 pm »

I feel that if you want to play a game, then you put the effort into starting the games.  How hard is it to go "lets play. <name> ."   Yes, I do give a lot of credit to Scott for taking the initiative.  I am disappointed in people for feeling the entitlement of "why should I start games, I just want to play"

The lack of people taking initiative to do things shouldn't be a surprise to anybody - it's a common symptom of laziness that seems to have infected most of humanity.

Personally, I tend to play board games elsewhere as the better (and usually longer) games tend to be too difficult to run at the club.

Tarathiel

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 12:42:36 am »
How many people are needed for an enjoyable Dune experience?  From listening to stories from a friend about Dune, it seems like it takes a substantial part of the day to finish.  Are there enough people currently interested?

Bunnie

• Unus Mundus
  • Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 10:16:34 am »
My roommate has expressed interest, but we're both similarly busy and probably won't have time until Reading Week :(
The algorithms I am programmed with do not support the comprehension of illogical human thought.

GitS

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 12:52:22 am »
I wouldn't say that longer board games are harder to run at the club.  They just need to be run.   If you really want to play agricola which I do like to play. Play.  come wed set it up and play.

Things die.  People burn.  This is the way of all things.   This is my way *cackle*
    "I have defied gods and demons.
    I am your shield, I am your sword.
    I know you; your past, your future.
    This is the way the world ends."

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:49 pm »
Yeah, I find with the longer games, unless you go about it with the same logistical approach as you would a long-term roleplaying game it will fail heh.

John Henry

• Noob
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:46 pm »
Dune over Reading Week? Perhaps Tuesday?

Espie

• Legendary
  • What.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 12:29:14 am »
I heard someone might attempt Twilight Imperium.

Bunnie

• Unus Mundus
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 05:59:28 pm »
Dune over Reading Week? Perhaps Tuesday?

Tuesday would be fine for me in the afternoon. There's an RPG campaign in the evening. Would starting around 1:00 be alright?

John Henry

• Noob
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 07:50:10 pm »
Seems good to me. So that's two... who else?

Has anybody played before who can instruct?