Author Topic: Cosmic Encounter Homebrew Powers  (Read 15125 times)

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
Cosmic Encounter Homebrew Powers
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:31:42 pm »
Do you have a great idea for a new Cosmic Encounter alien? The Wargamers have already adapted several homebrew powers and are willing to accept more, so post them here. Suggestions for revisions of other posters' ideas are allowed as long as they're not mean-spirited, and don't hesitate to voice any uncertainties you have about the specific details of your powers.

These are some of my ideas:

Knight
GETS STRONGER WHEN OPPONENTS USE ARTIFACTS AND FLARES
You have the power of Honour.
Whenever another player who isn’t your ally plays a flare or artifact, use this power to put a token on this sheet. If that flare or artifact targeted you, your ships, your planets, your powers or a card you played, put two tokens onto this sheet instead, even if your power is zapped.
As a main player or ally, after encounter cards are selected, use this power to increase or decrease your side’s total by 2 for each token on this sheet.

Wild: Defense or Defensive Ally/Reveal – Your side wins this encounter. If the Knight is playing, give him this card. Otherwise discard it.
Super: Offense/Alliance – The defense and his or her allies lose their powers until resolution.

Scourge
KEEPS OTHERS’ HANDS SMALL
You have the power to Flog.
Game Setup: Each other player is dealt an opening hand of half as many cards he or she would normally get.
Whenever another player would draw a new hand, you may use this power to have that player draw half as many cards as normal instead.
Whenever another player loses an encounter, you may use this power to have that player discard two cards at random. This happens before compensation.

Wild: Offense Only/Launch – Each other player who’s not your ally discards a card.
Super: Offense Only/Destiny – The defensive player discards down to one card. If that card isn’t an encounter card, your side wins this encounter.

Shaman
CHOOSES WILD OR SUPER
You have the power to Channel.
Whenever you play a flare card, you may use this power to use the wild or super flare instead of the one you would normally use. If you use a super that refers to “your power”, you gain that alien’s power until resolution of this encounter. (If another player has that power, that player doesn’t lose it.)
Whenever you play a flare card, if it gets discarded or given to another player as part of its effect, you may use this power to draw a card or regroup a ship.

Wild: Any Player/Any Phase – You may play up to three additional flare cards this turn. You can’t play one flare more than once using the same mode this turn.
Super: Main Player/Resolution – If your side won this encounter, the other main player reveals his or her hand and you choose any number of flare cards from it. Put those cards into your hand.

-----

I'm not sure if the wording of the Shaman's "flares that refer to 'your power'" clause is correct.

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
Re: Cosmic Encounter Homebrew Powers
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 02:36:50 pm »
I rewrote the powers to conform with the new rules scheme I'm working on, and this is how they came out. I also included another one, Magneton, which you created.

As for the question of the shaman's power, I rewrote it, and I think it's good now. It should function the same way. I removed the bit about compensation for losing a flare. I don't think the shaman needs the extra boost of power.
The shaman's wild is a problem, because we normally play with the "Freewheeling Flares" variant, which means you can always play any number of flares. Maybe it could allow you to play the same flare twice? Though that could cause issues with certain flares.

Magneton
MOVES OTHER PLAYERS' SHIPS
You have the power to Attract and Repel
Reaction - Use this when another player launches a ship from a planet you have a ship on.
Those ships don't launch instead.
Any Player/Mandatory/Any Phase
Reaction - You may use this when another player's ship land on a planet you have ships on.
Send those ships to their owner's colonies instead.
Any Player/Optional/Any Phase

Wild
After the defense is determined, move any one of your opponent's ships to another of that player's colonies of your choice.
Main Player/Destiny
Super
After allied ships are launched, all of your opponent's allied ships ally with you instead.
Main Player/Alliance

Knight
GETS STRONGER WHEN OPPONENTS USE ARTIFACTS AND FLARES
You have the power of Honour.
Reaction - Use when another player not allied with you plays a flare or an artfifact.
Put a token on this sheet
If that flare or artifact affects you, your ships, your planets, your powers or a card you played, put two tokens onto this sheet instead.
Any Player/Mandatory/Any Phase
After you reveal an attack card, use this power to add or subtract 2 to your side for each cosmic token on this sheet.
Main Player/Mandatory/Reveal

Wild:
Your side wins this encounter. If the Knight is playing, give him this card. Otherwise discard it.
Defense or Defensive Ally/Reveal
Super:
After Allies launch, the defense and his or her allies lose their powers until the end of this encounter.
Offense/Alliance

Scourge
KEEPS OTHERS’ HANDS SMALL
You have the power to Flog.
Game Setup: Each other player is dealt an opening hand of half as many cards he or she would normally be dealt.
Reaction - You may use this power when another player draws a new hand.
That player draw half as many cards as normal instead.
Reaction - You may use this power when another player loses an encounter as a main player or ally.
That player discards two cards at random.

Wild
After Allies launch, each other player not allied with you discards a non-encounter card of their choice, if possible.
Offense Only/Alliance
Super
The defensive player discards down to one card. If that card isn't an encounter card, your side wins this encounter.
Offense Only/Destiny

Shaman
CHOOSES WILD OR SUPER
You have the power to Channel.
You may use this power to reveal a flare card from your hand that matches one of your alien powers. You may immediately play the "Wild" mode of that flare, instead of the "Super".

You may use this power to reveal a flare card from your hand that does not match one of your alien powers.
You gain that power (if another player currently has it, they do not lose it), and may play the "Super" mode of that flare, instead of the "Wild". You lose that power at the end of this encounter. You may only gain one power per encounter in this way.

Wild
You may play up to three additional flare cards this turn. You can’t play one flare more than once using the same mode this turn.
Any Player/Any Phase
Super
After you win an encounter as a main player, your opponent reveals his or her hand and you choose any number of flare cards from it. Put those cards into your hand.
Main Player/Resolution

Warp World

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:44 pm »
scourge seems a little OP

Fayth

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:49 pm »
How bout for shaman wild:

Copy the effect of any wild flare played earlier this turn, if the effect causes you to discard that flare or give it to another player discard this flare to the discard pile instead

and for scourge I vote you make its reactions mandatory
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:01:02 pm by Fayth »

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 03:58:23 pm »
Okay, so I put the files I have so far up onto my site:
scott-wilson.ca/?page_id=8
(which is otherwise bare) and you can read through them at your leisure. Make sure to suggest any changes or cool ideas, and tell me about typos you notice. I'm done all of the powers (90 original + 4 homebrew) and some of the cards.
If you're writing homebrew, try to conform with the style I've been using, because it makes it much easier to work into the rules system. Specifically, if you need a power or card to react to an event (to alter how cards are selected, or zap cards, etc) they have to be reactions, otherwise they can't be played until after the event finishes. Try to use "lost" instead of "sent to the warp", and some other conventions to better support strange effects.

Fayth

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:25:34 pm »
Chaos
CAUSES MASS CONFUSION
You have the power to Distort

After another player draws a new hand besides their starting hand you may use this power to shuffle all the cards in each player's hand, including rewards cards, together and randomly redistribute the cards so that each player has the same number of cards they had before.

After alliances are formed you may use this power to randomly redistribute allied players to the offence and defence.
Main Player/Optional/Alliance

After destiny is drawn use to draw a hazard card with it (it's possible to have 2 hazards at the same time)
Any Player/Mandatory/Destiny

Wild
Randomly Redistribute all alien powers other than Chaos. Then shuffle the Chaos flare into the deck.
Any Player/Regroup
Super
Draw another alien power from the unused aliens if you do not have 1 more than the amount you started the game with, if it has game setup text discard it and draw another. Then randomly Redistribute all alien powers other than Chaos. Chaos may then choose to again redistribute all alien powers other than Chaos. Then shuffle the Chaos flare into the deck.
Any Player/Regroup
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:21:46 pm by Fayth »

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 05:04:40 pm »
Boom! Rewritten. I didn't change any of the functionality. I'm not sure if the redistribution of cards should trigger rifts or not. Seems more chaotic if it does.

Chaos
CAUSES MASS CONFUSION
You have the power to Distort
Reaction - You may use this power after another player draws a new hand.
After that player draws his hands, shuffle all the cards in all players hands together and randomly redistribute the cards so that each player has the same number of cards they had before. (This triggers rifts, regardless of who had them before.)
After alliances are formed you may use this power to randomly redistribute allied players to the offense and defense. (Flip a coin for each player, this does not count as "Launching".)
Main Player/Optional/Alliance
Reaction - Use this when a hazard would be flipped if needed.
Flip an additional hazard card this encounter. (Even if there's no hazard symbol.)
Any Player/Mandatory/Destiny

Wild
Randomly redistribute all alien powers other than Chaos, so that each player has the same number they had before.
Shuffle this flare into the deck.
Any Player/Regroup
Super
If you have as many or fewer alien powers than you started the game with, draw another alien power from the unused aliens. Then randomly Redistribute all alien powers other than Chaos. Chaos may then choose to again redistribute all alien powers other than Chaos.
Shuffle this flare into the deck.
Any Player/Regroup

Fayth

• Administrator
  • Legendary
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 06:50:57 pm »
I think it would be funny if rifts explode, regardless of who had them previously..

mm I was under the impression that the Reaction - tag was for stuff that occurs in the middle of another effect, sorta like "in response". Ill keep that in mind for newer aliens
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 07:37:31 pm by Fayth »

Warp World

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 07:13:21 pm »
I vote for a new name for chaos:
Confusion in the Ranks

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 11:40:14 pm »
I tried to keep reactions to things that alter other events, but I ended up also letting them react to unpredictable events. So anything that happens regularly (cards being selected) can be "After such and such, this happens", but people using their powers would need to be a reaction.

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:37:48 pm »
Paparazzo
PROFITS FROM WATCHING ENCOUNTERS
You have the power to Stalk.
When ships are launched, if you’re not a main player or ally, you may use this power to stalk a player in the encounter. If the stalked player’s side loses, for each ship that player had in the encounter, draw a card from either the deck or the defender rewards deck and that player can’t be invited as an ally until the next time he or she is the offense. If the stalked player’s side wins, regroup up to X ships, where X is the number of ships he or she had in the encounter.

Wild: Not Main Player or Ally/Launch – Draw a card for each player with three or more ships in this encounter.
Super: Not Main Player or Ally/Resolution – If the stalked player’s side lost this encounter by 10 or more, gain a foreign colony of your choice in that player’s home system.

Shogun
FORCES THOSE HE HELPS TO HELP HIM
You have the power of Giri.
As the defense, you may use this power to invite allies before the offense.
As an ally, use this power to have each of your ships add 2 to your side’s total.
At resolution, if you allied with a player, use this power to give that player a giri token.
As a main player, after allies are declared, you may use this power to have any number of players besides the other main player each lose a giri token. Those players ally with you this encounter and you choose how many ships each ally sends. Each ally you removed a giri token from doesn’t get defender rewards or colonies this encounter.

Wild: Main Player/Alliance – Add 3 to your side’s total for each player allying with you.
Super: Main Player/Resolution – If you won this encounter, the losing player and each of his or her allies gets a giri token.

Hydra (aka "Fixed Zombie")
REGROUPS EXTRA SHIPS
You have the power to Regrow.
During your regroup phase, if you would regroup one ship, use this power to regroup one ship to each of your colonies instead (if you don't have enough ships in the Warp, choose which colonies your ships get regrouped to).

Wild: Regroup an additional ship to a colony ships haven't regrouped to this encounter. Regroup/Main Player Only
Super: Return all your ships that were put into the Warp this encounter to your colonies. Any Phase/Any Player

Yeah, I think Scourge might not be so OP if it didn't make people you beat discard two cards. Should it be reduced to one card discarded, or should that part of the power just be dropped altogether? Also, I'm not really satisfied with the Hydra super. Any better ideas?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:12:00 pm by Dylan »

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 03:14:10 pm »
Hey, so we should get together and play Cosmic with these new powers and rules. When are you guys available?

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 05:10:57 pm »
What do you think of this for the Hydra super?

Super
Reaction - You may play this when you lose a foreign colony.
Establish two foreign colonies in the system of the player who killed those ships.
One Use.
Any Player/Any Phase

I also made the scourge mandatory, and finished all of the cards (artifacts, destiny, flares, etc.).
This means that pretty much everything is done, and the game is playable with the new rules. (Except for some small issues like not defining certain straightforward concepts.)

So let's play!

Dylan

• Swamp Wizard
  • Diligent Wargamer
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 11:09:37 pm »
The new Hydra super looks great. You get a gold star!

Where were you thinking of playing? If it's at Connection, I can get there by 4:20 or so on a weekday. I'm also free on the weekends.

Scott

• Archivist
  • Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:54 am »
If we can get more people for a weekday, I'm up for it. So, anyone who can come play cosmic at the connection on a weekday afternoon/evening, pipe up!